Jan 25, 2012

Frites!

fries

When I wasn't busy avoiding my moist hotel, listening to lectures, and hanging out with other letterpress aficionados I was sure to be found eating as much southern food as my west coast body could handle; and even though the Admiral was the creme of the crop in my Asheville dinning experience I still had a number of other fantastic meals.
If there's a starchy thing to be desired it almost has to be crispy-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside-french fries.
The best fries I've ever had in my entire life we're truffle infused but, these pommes frites were a close runner up.

crunchy frits

These beautiful fries accompanied my first true Creole food experience.

cut sal crepe

Crepes filled with southern goodness, like this salmon and caper plate of glory.

crepe rat

Ratatouille in a crepe. Yum.

arugula crepe

Pesto, arugula, cheese... need I say more?

he he he

After my french infused lunch I went back to bookworks to enjoy 2 demos: Getting to know your table top press and How to die cut.
The table top press demo was hosted by Kelly McMahon. She owns and operates May Day Studio.

quoin key

small hand press

excelsior

registration

Gauge pins for registration.

table top

tape

table with picas

pica pole

handy

magnet base

see

The die-cutting demo!

check it

What is die cutting?

heres how it's done

It's the process used to quickly and efficiently cut various shapes from all types of paper, foam, and fabric.

hmmm i wonder

How does die cutting work?

die cutting

It all starts with a thin piece of metal bent (by a die maker) into the abstract or geometric shape that you want. That piece of metal is then mounted on a piece of wood with foam in the center and on the outer edge of the shape to cushion the paper while cutting. The metal is type high and conveniently fits into the chase of the press. The chase is where you normally have your plate of the image you're printing.

punches

When the edge of the metal comes together with the paper it creates a cut out of your image as seen above, and you can use the cut out as a positive or a negative.


die cut girl

I'm pretty pumped to do some die cutting on my Kluge. Vicktrola coasters are soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment